Huawei sub-brand Honor launched the Honor 20 and the Honor 20 Pro in Europe amid the ongoing US sanctions put on the Chinese tech giant. Both the phones are slated to launch in India on June 11, with the availability expected in the weeks to come. It now seems that the Honor 20 Pro variant won’t be available in time, thanks to Google’s blacklisting of Huawei devices. According to a report, the Honor 20 Pro hasn’t got the necessary Android certification that is needed to sell phones with the Google-owned OS.
As you may know, Google was one of the companies which pulled back Android support from Huawei after the Trump Administration included the company in a blacklist alleging espionage. Google, however, said that the Huawei phones which are already sold to customers will not be immediately impacted, and the company has been given a 90-day permit to install all the necessary updates on those existing phones. Further, Google also said that all the Huawei/Honor phones launched after May 16 will not have Android OS support.
It was due to this fact that there’s a shadow of doubt as far as the OS on the Honor 20 and the Honor 20 Pro is concerend, given these smartphones were launched on May 21. Apparently, Huawei had already signed a deal with Google (before May 16) to lend Android OS support to the Honor 20, but not for the Honor 20 Pro. This suggests that the Pro variant will not launch with Android at its heart, and since Huawei is yet to launch its own OS, the Pro variant may not be available on schedule.
Huawei is on a sticky wicket. Not only are US companies cutting off ties with it, but firms from Europe and Japan have also shut down trade relations with the Chinese company. They attribute their decisions to the ban that US had imposed on the firm.
In the “Executive Order on securing the information and communications technology and services supply chain,” Trump said that he found “that foreign adversaries are increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology and services, which store and communicate vast amounts of sensitive information, facilitate the digital economy, and support critical infrastructure and vital emergency services, in order to commit malicious cyber-enabled actions, including economic and industrial espionage against the United States and its people”. He later issued a ban on some entities, including Huawei.
Huawei does not sell any hardware in the US due to a previous ban imposed on it, but passing an executive order to make all US companies cease business with Huawei is questionable. If Huawei cannot sell any products in the US, it probably won’t have any alleged threat on the country’s national security. Moreover, there are no reports of any European, or as a matter of fact, any other agency finding anything that Trump Administration accused Huawei of.