After the whole Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, where Note 7’s all over the world started blowing up as a result of defective batteries, people have become all too aware of the fact that their smartphones are powered by lithium ion batteries that are volatile and susceptible to dramatic explosions if damaged or faulty.
Now, a video of an iPhone 7 Plus exploding has hit the internet and is making the Twitterverse freak out. Brianna Olivas says her rose gold iPhone 7 Plus started smoking randomly and her boyfriend instantly started recording the explosion unfold with his own smartphone.
The video, which Olivas posted on Twitter, clearly shows the iPhone smoking from one side and its chassis melting away. The video has become viral and has already been viewed more than 1.26 million times with more than 22,000 reweets.
So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning ?? was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69
â€” Bree? (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017
In light of the Note 7 explosions, people have already started questioning the safety of the iPhone 7 Plus but there is no evidence whatsoever that this is a widespread problem and not just an isolated incident.
What really happened?
It all started when Olivas woke up one morning to find her iPhone 7 Plus dead and not turning on. She took her phone to an Apple Store where it was declared perfectly fine and began working normally again.
The next morning however, Olivia claims that the smartphone caught fire and started smoking away whilst sitting on her dresser.
Olivia described the incident in her own words – “The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser,” she said via a direct message on Twitter. “He went the the [sic] restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw it in the restroom is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”
Apple officials have since assured Olivia that they are looking into the matter and will know more within a week. An Apple spokesperson said ” We are in touch with the customer and looking into it.”
For more news from India Today, follow us on Twitter @IndiaTodayTech and on Facebook at facebook.com/indiatodaytech
For news and videos in Hindi, go to AajTak.in.ताज़ातरीन ख़बरों और वीडियो के लिए आजतक.इन पर आएं.